During the 1940's and 1950's people began to move from the city of Chicago to the northwest suburbs. Elk Grove Village was established in 1956 as industries began to expand here. The expansion was rapid.
In 1959, Albert Cardinal Meyer appointed Father John Ward Morrison to establish a parish in the area just west of O'Hare Field. Queen of the Rosary Parish was born. The Archdiocese of Chicago had purchased ten and one-half acres - an open field. While driving through the village, Father Morrison noticed a large number of children, and decided to build a school first. The first Mass was celebrated on July 5, 1959 in the Mark Hopkins School, located at Landmeier and Higgins roads. While construction for the church and school were in progress, school classes were held at our Lady of Hope for the first and second grades with sixty-six children. A convent with two class rooms was built and ready for use in December 1959. On May 21, 1961 Cardinal Meyer traveled to Elk Grove Village to dedicate the new church, school, and rectory. In the summer, construction began on the first addition to the convent for the Sisters of the Resurrection. Later that year an addition to the school was completed. There were now twenty-two classrooms with nine sisters and a number of lay teachers. The first graduation was held in 1967 with 57 graduates. The population in Elk Grove Village continued to grow at a tremendous rate.
In 1967 construction began on the present church. The first Mass was celebrated on February 5, 1969. John Cardinal Cody dedicated the new church on May 23, 1969.
Upon the retirement of Father Morrison on January 6, 1980, Father Francis Cerniglia was appointed pastor. He sought to continue the good work done by the founding pastor, while taking on the financial challenges of replacing furnaces, roofs, and parking lots, and repairing other parish facilities.
On October 7, 1984, Joseph Cardinal Bernardin offered mass for the 25th anniversary of the parish. The parish reflected on the many blessings of its first quarter-century, and offered thanks for the many who had given of themselves in selfless dedication for the good of the others. That same year, Queen of the Rosary began its Renew Program, which helped the Parish grow in awareness through small-group faith sharing.
On April 12, 1987, Fr. John Morrison passed away.
In 1989, after 30 years of dedicated service, the Sisters of the Resurrection departed from their mission as educators at Queen of the Rosary. The convent was converted into parish offices in 1990.
Father Cerniglia retired in 1996, and was succeeded by Father Art Fagan. Father Fagan sought to expand parish services, work in close cooperation with Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village, and form outreach programs to achieve his constant theme that "everyone is always welcome at Queen of the Rosary Parish".
One of the darkest moments in Queen of the Rosary Parish's history came during the last week of July 2007. Not only did the parish lose Father Francis Cerniglia, Pastor Emeritus, but the community learned two days later Father Arthur Fagan had also passed away. The community had lost two of the hardest working, most giving priests they had known.
On December 1, 2007, Father Edward Pelrine was appointed pastor of Queen of the Rosary. Ordained in 2001, Fr. Pelrine came from St. Celestine Church in Elmwood Park, where he served as associate pastor.
Father Pelrine was born in Evanston and raised in St. Gertrude Parish on the north side of Chicago where he attended grade school. He attended Loyola University and received a Master’s Degree in Business Administration before beginning studies for the priesthood at St. Mary of the Lake Seminary in Mundelein and graduating in 2001.
There has been a new emphasis on Christian discipleship, and the parish has offered ongoing formation on prayer, liturgy, discernment of charisms, and the apostolate of the laity in a broad effort to bring spiritual revitalization to the people.
The parish has continued its commitment to Catholic education through the support of the parish school, whose goal is to form well-educated Catholic disciples through its pre-school through eighth grade program. A solid religious education program continues to offer sacramental preparation and Christian formation to students enrolled in public schools and to homeschoolers.
Copyright © Queen of the Rosary 2010 - All Rights Reserved